Skip Navigation | Home | History | Places of Interest | Location | Documents | Pictures | Events
Download complete History of Claxby book
Claxby (Lincolnshire), known as Cleaxbyg in 1066-68, Clachesbi in 1086, Clakesbi in 1150-60 and in 1186-1200 it returned to its original Dane suffix, -by, in 1190. All the names mean "Klax's farmstead". From the Danish person Klak and Danish suffix -by.
-by is the most common Scandinavian suffix found in the Danelaw. The biggest concentration of names ending in -by is in Lincolnshire, with others being found in Yorkshire, Mersey, Lancashire coast and central Midlands, the original meaning of the -by suffix being a farmstead. Many of the places with this suffix grew into villages, towns and even cities taking their -by suffix with them.
1801 - Population: 136
1811 - Population: 159
Pre 1813 - Claxby Parish had joined Caistor Society of Industry. Claxby could send its poor to the workhouse on Caistor Moor.
1821 - Population: 184
1829 - A Day School and Sunday School are started
1831 - Population: 205
1835 - Education enquiry:"One daily school in which, 10 males and 13 females receive instruction at the expense of their parents. One Sunday school, 12 males and 4 females, taught gratuitously; these schools commenced in 1829"
1836 - The first Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built
1837 - Claxby becomes part of the Caistor Poor Law Union
1841 - Population: 220
1848 - The Railway opens
1851 - Population: 262
1861 - Population: 237
1862 - Date of building Primitive Methodist Chapel (now the Village Hall)
1868 - Ironstone mines begin in Claxby and Normanby
1871 - Population: 357 (with influx of miners). 44 Ironstone workers live in Claxby
1881 - Population: 325. There are now only 19 Ironstone workers in Claxby
1891 - Population: 226. No miners resident in Claxby
1894 - Parish Council created
1901 - Population: 237
1904 - New Wesleyan Chapel built
This site is still under development
Jump to top of page content | Jump to navigation